How to create Roll-Up Summary fields in Salesforce : In this training tutorial we are going to learn what is Roll-Up Summary field in salesforce, Characteristic of Roll-Up Summary field and how to create Roll-Up Summary field in Salesforce.
Roll-Up Summary field : Roll-Up Summary field in salesforce calculates values from a set of related records.
Roll-Up Summary field can do the following functions.
- Count : It calculates the total number of related records.
- Sum : It totals the values of selected fields.
- Min : Displays lowest value.
- Max : Displays the highest value.
Characteristics of Roll-Up Summary.
- Roll-Up Summary field can be created only in a object which is referred as a object with a master detailed relationship field.
- Roll-Up Summary field can only created for Master-detail Relationship.
- Roll-Up Summary field can not be created for Lookup Relationship.
- It Derives the data from child Object.
- We can’t change field type of a field that we reference in a roll-up summary field.
- Auto numbers are not available here.
- Roll-Up Summary fields are not available for mapping lead fields of converted fields.
How to create Roll-Up Summary Fields in Salesforce.
Here we are going to create Roll-Up Summary field in Custom object called “College”. Totally we are going to create Four Roll-Up Summary fields which are Total number of Students from Student Object, Total number of Employes from Employs Object, Total Fee Paid from Student Object and finally Total Courses from Course Object.
Step1 : Go to Detailed view of the object then go to Custom fields and Relationship section.
Custom fields and Relationship section => New => Roll-Up Summary.
Now enter all the details like Field Label and Field name and Select Next.
Enter Summarized object from picklist, Select Roll-Up Types select Next and finally Save it.
Below is the Roll-Up Summary field created to sum all fees paid by all students in a college.
Like wise create remaining 3 roll-up summary fields and also create some records in the objects.