Introduction to Force.com Sites – Overview
Force.com sites enables users to build or create public website using visualforce pages and applications using force.com platform that integrates directly with salesforce.com. Force.com sites are hosted in Force.com Servers so there are no date integration issues.
- We can create Force.com Site with our own domain name.
- Corporate website or intranet, Ecommerce applications, simple micro sites can be built using force.com sites.
- Force.com Sites is enabled for most editions but there are bandwidth and usage restrictions.
Advantages of using Force.com sites in salesforce.
- We can create a ideas Sites.
- Can Publish a support Frequently Asked Question(FAQ).
- Can create a store locator tool.
- Can publish an employee directory.
- Can create a recruiting website.
- Can publish a catalog of product.
How to create force.com sites?
Before creating Force.com sites, we have to create the Force.com domain which is unique subdomain prefix plus force.com. Force.com domain name is used for all the site that we create in salesforce.com.
Example :- https://1000bucks-developer-edition.ap1.force.com.
https://1000bucks-developer-edition.ap1.force.com is the Force.com domain name that we created in salesforce.com and we are going to create crmsalesforcetraining Force.com site. Follow the steps given below to create Force.com sites in salesforce.
- To create a Force.com website go to Setup=>Build=>Develop=>Sites.
- Now click on New Button.
- Now new page will be where we have to enter details like Site label, Site name, Site Description, Site contact, default web address, Active, Active site home page, Inactive site home page, site template, site robot.txt, site favorite icon, Analytics tracking code, URL rewriter class, Enable feeds, clickjack protection level, require secure connections(HTTPS).
- Use lookup filed to select the visualforce page.
- Here we are creating crmsalesforcetraining site so i am giving site name as “crmsalesforcetraining“.
As shown above in default web address the first part of the URL is Force.com domain name and the second part of the URL is Force.com site name. After entering all details Click on Save.
Managing Force.com Site.
In the first part we have created new Force.com site, now we have to activate the new created site in salesforce.com.
- To activate Force.com site go to Setup=>Build=>Develop=>Sites.
- Now we can view all sites that hosted on our force.com domain.
- Click Edit to make changes and Click on Activate button to make the status of the site as active.
We have successfully create crmsalesforcetraining Force.com site in salesforce.com.