Force.com database | Standard Field Types in Salesforce
Force.com platform is one of the powerful and acts as a intuitive data persistence layer baked into all aspects of platform. The Force.com database not only acts as a persistence layer but also it generates user interface for creating, updating and displaying records. Non-technical users who don’t know coding can also create, configure and deploy persistent objects using the point-n-click, form-based interface in the Setup environment.
Salesforce.com takes a slightly different approach with their database layer. Instead of coming from a pure database perspective, the Force.com database takes a more abstract approach and represents everything as objects. Traditional database like Oracle, SQL, MySQL has tables and columns where Force.com database is composed with objects and fields.
Standard Field Types in Salesforce are as given below. In Force.com databases, we mainly study about field types like Standard field types, Relationship fields, System fields and Apex triggers.
- Auto Number – Auto Number field is a system-generated read-only sequence number with a format that you can define. The format is configurable (i.e., PR-00001) and automatically increments for each new record inserted.
- Formula – Formula field type is a read-only field that derives its value from a formula expression you define.
- Checkbox – Checkbox field type is used for Boolean data.
- Currency – A currency formatted number with optional multi-currency support.
- Date or Date/Time – For date or date / time combinations, allows the user to enter a date or pick a date from a popup calendar.
- Email – Email Field Type is used for entering email addresses.
- Number – For representing real numbers with optional decimal points.
- Percent – Using Percent field type users can enter a percentage number (e.g., 59) and automatically displays the percent sign with the number.
- Phone – Allows users to enter any phone number.
- Picklist and Multi-Select Picklists -Picklist and Multi-Select Picklists allows users to select one or more values from a list you define.
- Text and Text Areas – For representing text up to 255 characters in either a single line or multi-line text box.
- Text Area (Long) – For representing text up to 32,000 characters in a multi-line text box.
- Text Area (Rich) – For representing rich text (HTML) up to 32,000 characters with formatted text, images and links with an embedded WYSIWYG editor.
- URL – URL field type allows the user to enter a website address and it open the URL in a separate browser window when clicked on.